We told the boys our family news today! I brainstormed ways to let them know that were playful and creative but couldn't come up with anything I was excited about. We let the cat out of the bag a little prematurely for three reasons: 1) A neighbor found out who is also a teacher at Keegan's school...so I preferred he hear from us first rather than by someone at school 2) Keegan was starting to figure it out (like asking me why I was using the blood glucose tester if I wasn't pregnant) and I can only be "sick and tired" for so long without having a good excuse 3) We were just excited!
We went with Josh's simple way to tell them...we called them into our bed where we often spend Sunday mornings and just said it. We talked to them about how Keegan was going to be a big brother again and Sam was going to be a new big brother. We explained how my stomach wouldn't get bigger for awhile (not too long though at the rate I'm at) and how the baby wouldn't be here until after Christmas, Valentine's Day, Keegan's Birthday and Easter!
Sam smiled and was happy about it. He smiled even bigger when we informed him that he would be both a little brother and a big brother. Keegan had a different response...he giggled non-stop and insisted that we were lying. I had my knee up under the covers and he said "Your leg is just up." I think he was looking for physical signs and I think because he is older the idea was initially a little bit funny, thinking about the changes...I'm not really sure. But we let him know that it is okay to feel lots of feeling...happy, unsure etc and he can come talk to us anytime. I told him that is the beauty of having 7 months to prepare for it.
I brought it up periodically during the day and he seemed to be a little more comfortable with the topic. He asked some questions like if I thought it would be a girl or a boy. They of course want a boy. I said I would be happy with either. I asked them if they had any name ideas- here they are so far. Sam's----Armyboy Keegan-I Don't Know or Lucy. I could go with one of them...you guess which one.
So we will spend the next 7 months casually talking about our newest and final addition to the Slaughter family. I want them to feel loved and part of the process, realizing that there are going to be changes but not life changing ones. It sure feels good having them know. Now just for the sonogram and all things will be right with the world!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






No comments:
Post a Comment