I told Sam yesterday that Barack Obama won and he would be our new President. Apparently he thought he already was. I teared up when I thought about explaining to him why this moment is so historic but decided not to expose his innocent 4 year old years to the subject of prejudice. Which made me tear even more to know that my boys and this new little one will never now a time before there was an African American president. I forgot to tell Keegan in the morning so as he was walking into school I rolled down the window and yelled, "Barack Obama won! He's our President." Keegan looked back and smiled. Talk about an embarrassing mom! :) Maybe making the cakes will give them give them extra memory so when they grow up they can look back and say, I remember that day!

I guess you could say we are eating our Obama cupcakes and drinking our Obama Kool-Aid! I just heard Keegan say, "Sam, ask mom if we can have a Barack Obama cupcake."
Click here for a slideshow that Clara shared with me of people's reactions to President Elect- Barack Obama.






1 comment:
the official Barack Obama day has been announced! The B.O. cupcakes look marvelous. And you are right, it is hard to explain the history of prejudice, or things that have been such obstacles in human life that no longer are there. I feel the same explaining to some young women the obstacles that were so apparent for women even when I was growing up. I guess that is what experienced older wiser elders need to keep history in perspective and share the tales so nothing is taken for granted in this world.
Love you blog, sweetie...
Post a Comment